Monday, March 21, 2011

Our Chariot Awaits

With diesel prices rising upwards of $3.80 a gallon, my man has decided to hang up the keys to "Big Tex", a one ton Ford diesel. He's a country boy, you know. Drives a big truck, always. Cheap and frugal, always. These two obviously don't mix during these economic hard times. Robert has been looking to purchase a cheap car with good gas mileage for the past couple of weeks. Craigslist wasn't offering too many prospects, and this was frustrating big man. I was getting frustrated at him buried in the internet every off minute of the day...


Last Sunday we were up at some good friends of ours for a crafting get together. No, Robert wasn't crafting...who do you think he is? Brian and Jaime Turner are friends of ours from so many associations. Brian and Robert are childhood friends. Jaime grew up in southern Missouri and went to school with my cousin, Jerrod, and his wife, Tiffany. At Jerrod and Tiff's wedding, we looked across the aisle and saw none other than Brian Turner! It was then that we became a "circle of friends/family", if you will. I've swayed from my point, so sorry. I tend to do that when I've got a good tale in the works. Back to my original story...

Anyhow, Brian had just bought a new Honda Pilot. I saw the lightbulb immediately turn on in my country boy's eyes. He knew there was a well taken care of '97 Grand Am that was now up for grabs. I didn't have to ask what Robert was thinking...that's what 13 years together and 8 years of marriage has gotten me...I can read his mind. Robert bluntly asked, "What 'ya gonna do with your Grand Am?" "Sell it, I guess." "Oh yeah, what would you want for it?" There's the part of the conversation I heard. From that point on, I got crafty because I knew there was nothing I could do to stop what big man was going to do...

Robert and Brian took the little girls to Bass Pro while us "lovely ladies" did our craft thing. A couple hours later they returned. As soon as I greeted my man..."Do you have the checkbook in your purse?" I knew it...we were buying that car. A check was written. Grins were exchanged between the four of us. We all knew why...but each of us had our own reasons...


You see, for me and Robert, there was a story behind "White Lightening". Yes, that's what I've named her. In our family, we name our vehicles. Funny enough, the vehicle I drive now has no name. Sad, really. Nothing fits...I'll be thinking about that now. "White Lightening" was the vehicle that drove my groom and I home on our wedding night. I know, a '97 Grand Am. You don't understand...unless you were at our reception. It was quite the party. There were some crazy events that night. Beer cups turned into great pyramids, halter dresses that conveniently slipped down when a certain 9 year old danced against a busty gal (I'll never tell...Marshall and Dana...oops, it slipped!), cousins stripping for their aunt to Nelly's "It's Gettin' Hot In Here"...oh yes, it was quite the party. The night was fun, the night was long. Around 1 am, the hall was near empty. Bride and groom ready to leave and in NO condition to drive the half mile to the hotel. As we scanned the room for a driver, all we spotted was a lone Brian...sitting at the bar. Perfect! I know, looking back now, that was a dumb move, but hey, we were young, dumb, and in love. "White Lightening" belonged to Brian since high school...which really was only two years prior to that night. He graciously drove my groom and I to our hotel...

"White Lightening" was our chariot. It's only right that she parks with us...8 years later.

1 comment:

  1. hhahahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!! this kills me. white lightening, what a name! have you broken her in yet? :) i kid, i kid.

    ReplyDelete